So I'm staying with my great aunt's in Wheaton, IL. It's the base of Wheaton College, a christian college and seminary school. It's really pretty here, very suburban. My great aunt is letting me use her extra car, but something about bicycling here is so much more fun. Maybe because I haven't ridden a bike in the suburbs since elementary school and because riding a bicycle in New York City is not second nature.
So I decided to bike around today, a lot more than usual. I rode my bike up to Wheaton College and I rode around campus. It looks like a classic Southern or Mid-West school, looking archetypically Christian with its red bricks and white lining. There is a church in the middle and the entire place is so charming. The campus was closed today. I actually went up there because I was looking for a book store to buy some reading books. The book store was closed too. And I was getting really really tired from riding my bike up hills. I was sweating like crazy.
So I decided to bike to downtown Wheaton and I came across this coffee shop that is very reminiscent of new york: wooden tables, floors, menu, with contemporary typography. And here I am sitting writing this inside River City Roasters. The latte is surprisingly good. I'm going to be coming here often.
The coffee shops motto is "Coffee, Connection, Community."
I can't help, but to be reminded of christianity and the importance of community. I think this is such a great way to create a safe space for people, christian or not, to come and unplug from their lives and chat with others with a good cup of joe. The fact that it hinted to the fellowship of christianity made me feel so warm inside. And then I was reminded how this motto would never be appreciated in nyc or LA or anywhere.
Wheaton is such a great place to live and grow as a Christian. Sure, 100% of all the citizens here may not be Christians, but the idea that this city and its school was founded by Christians (*ahem*Billy Graham*ahem), makes me feel so warm and safe. I don't feel judged here doing my QT in public. I don't feel judged reading my bible publicly. I don't have to worry about my bike getting stolen. I don't even have a lock on it right now.
To go to college here would be a dream. To grow up in this kind of environment may seem like a bubble, but how wonderful would it have been if my faith was grounded here first before entering the real, monsterous world?
To raise kids here? Wow. I wish places like this existed by the coast, particularly LA. I would be comforted by the fact that most of the people here are God loving people and would treat each other with the same doctrine in mind.
I really like Wheaton.
Wait--wow I just had a realization....God brought me to Wheaton for a purpose. He didn't let me stay in downtown Chicago although downtown Chicago would have been 10x more comfortable of a commute. But, He brought me here....to bring me to a safe space where I can have a quite escape with Him in a community of God acknowledging and loving people, kids, and coffee shops. Almost like the perfect summer camp for my faith to grow.
Couldn't have asked for anything better now. My eyes are always in binoculars, trying to focus on things I cannot control: my life, my future, my job. I'm so ignorant and so incapable of fathoming what gifts my Father has for me. He loves me and gives me more than what I thought I wanted.
I'm so encouraged to grow! And not by any one person, but because of a city.
So now I am slowly beginning to understand what it means to love your city--new york city, los angeles, san francisco, london, paris, shanghai, seoul, you name it. Imagine if those cities also encouraged you to grow in faith. If New York City made me feel the way I feel at Wheaton....I would be at a loss for words, crying with joy.

No comments:
Post a Comment